Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rough In and a Minor Setback

So as noted it has been a little longer than anticipated for the next post but things are back on track after another week. We'll start with the rough in....

We went out to the house and met the plumber and our contractor to determine the placement of the faucets. Since we are converting a dresser into a vanity for the bathroom, it isn't as deep as a typical vanity, so we are wall mounting the sink faucets. Although we got the valves in on time, we didn't have the faucets themselves, so Jami went to the bath supplier and make a cardboard template of the faucet, which the plumber thought was very clever. If we would have only gotten a folding rule for the measuring, Grandpa would have been very proud. We made the decisions and then they came out the next day and "roughed in" the valves. Our friends who are doing the stone top and backsplash also came out for the placement and took the vanity to their shop to start on the work.

Here is the plumbing for the double sinks in the vanity.

Here is the shower rough in... we will have a thermostatic valve with a dual diverter (so you can run the rain shower head and hand shower simultaneously if needed), a slide bar with hand shower on it that Jami will likely use as a shower head most often, and a rain shower head in the ceiling for me. Here you can see the thermostatic valve on the far left. We decided to put it there so you could open the door and easily reach in and get the water going before you got in. The right hand side is where the water will come in and go through the hose to the hand shower, which will be on the slide bar centered on the wall. Not pictured is the valve in the ceiling for the rain head.

We were cruising along and getting ready for our next inspections when we got an unpleasant surprise. Apparently during the installation of the tankless water heater (something we were very excited that the previous owner had taken care of), they had only placed the appropriate sized gas lines where they were visible. Under the house, the lines reduced to 1/2 or 1/4" pipes, which wont support our needs nor pass inspection. As the old saying goes, nothing time and money can't fix. We had a "variance" allowance in our estimate that will cover the cost, but it did cost us a couple of days of work to replace all the gas lines under the house (see below in the wall - larger pipes).

After the pipes got fixed we passed the second inspections for electrical and plumbing. So we are back on track.

Other things that have happened since the last post are...

The mason came out and re-stoned the outside of the house for the windows that had been moved.

They cemented in the water and drain lines in the bathroom.

They capped off all the old lines behind the walls in the reading nook.

One other thing that Jami noticed with the help of our friends who are doing the stone is that the light wasn't centered over the window in the bathroom. So we had them move the joist over so they will be able to center the light on the window.

Our contractor also suggested we add blocking in the shower and water closet so if we need to add bars later in life we will have the support in the walls to secure them. Always good when your contractor thinks of the little things.

Since the washer and dryer will be "built in" to the cabinets, we also planned an easier way to access the cut-off valve - turns in the left wall behind a false wall in the broom cabinet.

I'm sure I'm missing things, but that at least gives you an idea of where we are in the process. The schedule for next week includes the foundation company out at the beginning of the week. There are repairing or replacing 6 piers and sistering or replacing over 200 linear feet of wood under the house. This is stuff we got compensated for after the inspection as part of the purchasing contract. The electricians are also coming out early in the week and making some adjustments and finishing things up. Then the insulation will go in and get inspected. After that drywall will hopefully start to go up at the end of the week. So if all goes well, when Jami comes back from her trip we may have solid walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment